Sunday, August 24, 2014

Season 1 Episode 1 & 2 "Children of the Gods"


Background

One year previsously, as depicted in the movie Stargate, Colonel Jack O'Neill led a team through the Stargate to the planet Abydos. After killing the Goa'uld System Lord Ra with a nuclear bomb, O'Neill returned to Earth with two survivors of his team, Charles Kawalsky and Louis Ferretti. They leave behind Dr. Daniel Jackson, with his new love Sha're (called Sha'uri in the movie) and her brother Skaara.

Part 1

The series starts when the Stargate apparently activates on its own, and the Goa'uld System Lord Apophis and several Jaffa soldiers come through to the Stargate Command base at Cheyenne Mountain, killing several armed airmen and kidnapping a female airman. Soon after this event, O'Neill is re-called to Cheyenne Mountain by Major General George Hammond. He isinterrogated, along with his former teammates Charles Kawalsky and Louis Ferretti, about their mission to Abydos. When they refuse to reveal anything other than what is in their reports, General Hammond chooses to send a nuclear bomb through the Stargate to Abydos, believing that the aliens could only have come from Abydos and hoping to destroy whoever came through. O'Neill reveals that he had lied about using the bomb to destroy Abydos. He admits that while the alien Ra was killed, the people of Abydos are still alive and Dr. Daniel Jackson is living among them. After talking to his superiors, Hammond allows O'Neill to send a tissue box through the Stargate. The box is returned, proving that Jackson is alive and well, O'Neill is recalled to active duty, regains his rank of Colonel and is given permission to take a team through the Stargate to Abydos to investigate the alien invaders. A team is assembled which includes O'Neill, Kawalsky, Ferretti, and Samantha Carter , along with several others. They find a group of Abydonians waiting for them, armed with military weapons from Earth. Daniel leads O'Neill, Kawalsky, and Carter to a large cavernous room that has innumerable hieroglyphs on the walls. Jackson reveals that he believes that the hieroglyphs of the cartouchematch the various symbols on the Stargate, leading him to believe that the walls are actually a map of the coordinates of a vast network of Stargates across the galaxy. While O'Neill and the others are away from the Stargate, the base camp nearby is attacked by the same invaders who attacked the SGC earlier in the episode. The leader's eyes glow, causing many of the survivors to believe that he is Ra. The invaders take Sha're (Vaitiare Bandera) and Skaara (Alexis Cruz, from the 1994 film) with them. Determined to save his wife and brother-in-law, Daniel accompanies O'Neill and his team back to Earth. When the injured Ferretti is able to reveal the symbols that the invaders used to leave Abydos, General Hammond is given permission by thePresident of the United States to form nine teams who will use the Stargate to gather information about threats to Earth. O'Neill is given command of the team designated "SG-1", with Carter as his second-in-command and Jackson accompanying him. Kawalsky is given command of SG-2.

*** Alright there's your summary now I need you to talk about it discuss in comments***
Also add pictures 
Favorite Quotes from the Episodes
Let us know did you like it or not?

10 comments:

  1. So I like this one and I had a lot of Jack quotes which I enjoyed. I think it set up the tie in to the movie well and yet it wasn't my favorite. What about you guys?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a fan of the movie at all. The movie takes itself too seriously for my taste. That being said I think the first episode bridged the gap well. You really didn't have to see the movie to get what was going on.


    I love that RDA took O'Neill & made the character his own. I prefer the humor he played it with and not so drab.

    I really cringe at the scene in the conference room. I felt Carter's character was trying too hard and out of line. I really HATE the reproductive organs line cringe worthy.

    I love when O'Neill pushes Carter through the gate when she is geeing out.

    Favorite line hmm I'll go with You shouldn't have had that big lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG the reproductive organs drives me up the wall. I think it took her like 6 episodes before she was I am a woman who is soft and also tough and I don't have to prove it to everyone. Her character drives me insane until she finds that happy medium UGH.

    Agree with the RDA making the character a lot more enjoyable for sure.

    Also the female airman at the beginning was so freaking OMG look at the big shiny thing let's be all stupid and go and touch it UGH

    The Kleenex box part was my favorite. Daniel was also a bit not into his character just yet you can tell everyone was working hard except Jack ;)

    Favorite Line: Captain Doctor you are going to love this

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed the pilot episode. I thought they did a great job incorporating the movie into the show.

    The humor is subtle and if you aren't paying attention you will miss it. Which is great because you have to listen and stay focused.

    The characters of Carter and Teal'c make it a more rounded cast and each character has difference that a lot of viewers can relate too.

    Having watched the entire season and now watching it over, Daniel Jackson is a 100% nerd. The way he talks, acts and even walks is stereotypically of what a scientist.

    I enjoyed both parts and its hard for me to comment on Part 1 or 2 because I think of the episode as short of a mini-movie. I felt it did a great job in using the movie as a platform and using the new characters and story to jump into a whole new world. Pun intended!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my favorite moments was when Jack is asking Daniel if he has figured out how to dial earth yet and when Daniel tries to give this big explanation Jack just cuts him off.

    I also like the quote from Jack "Oh I have no problem with you being a woman , I like women...."

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was really interesting watching this, because it was my first time watching since a few years ago when I originally watched it. I actually really enjoyed the movie, but only at certain points. I do agree that it took itself too seriously. Kurt Russell was terrible. James Spader has some of the humor that I think is needed for something like this, so I think casting people like RDA and Michael Shanks definitely served the show by expanding on that.

    There was a lot that I had forgotten about this episode, given how long it's been since I've seen it. For instance the fact that Samuels is working for General Hammond. I always hated Samuels because he's so creepy later on... (at least from what I remember.) I also didn't remember how long it takes after the episode starts for regular cast members to start appearing. There are so many random people that appear at the beginning.

    I did love the moment Courtney mention where O'Neill pushes Carter through the gate. Also that whole scene when Daniel is in Jack's house.

    Favorite quote: "Daniel, for crying out loud, you've only had one beer! You're a cheaper date than my wife."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that line was hysterical I found myself laughing a lot more than this episode called for... but than again I crack myself up on my own so ;)

      Delete
  8. Yes, I think Sam's character is that needed to develop the most into what she finally became. I blame the writer's - they obviously had no idea how to write a competent believable strong female character. Her first scene was definitely cringe worthy.

    It's been a long time since I've seen the early seasons and I'm surprised how much I'd forgotten about but also what I did remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I've done this re-watch before I remember it clearly it is hard to watch over and over and for sure not one I would be stuck on an island watching for eternity but not too bad.

      Delete